A child brings immense joy to the world and our lives. The moment when the new-born arrives into your arms is unforgettable and it is a moment to be cherished forever. Motherhood is full of magical moments along with a lot of ups and downs.
During my pregnancy, I flaunted my big bump confidently with a few awesome maternity clothes and a head full of strong hair. I never realized that my strong hair are going to face the brunt and they might be temporary at that time.
Three months after my delivery, my hair started falling out. Those hair clumps scared me and my self-confidence started getting hit. Additionally, it started affecting me emotionally. Combing, washing and even touching my hair seemed like stress for my mind. I was depressed to an extent that I started counting strands, with a hope that I don’t lose more than the normal amount.
All this pushed me to read a lot about hair fall and even met a trichologist or a hair expert. I am not an expert to advise anyone regarding this problem but I would like to share my experience and a few tips which helped me to go through this experience and get back my hair to a healthy state. This is just to reach out all the new moms and let them know that they are not alone and every new mom faces this during her pregnancy.
Therefore, I am jotting down some measures to prevent the hair fall –
- Maintaining a healthy diet which includes a lot of vegetables and fruits can prevent your hair from falling out.
- Don’t be too harsh with your hair and try to avoid hairstyles that demand hair to be pulled.
- Stop touching your hair. We all tend to run our hands into our hair every now and then. This effects the hair roots so stop this habit asap.
- Take vitamin supplements like Vitamin E, C, B-Complex. These vitamins would help in improving the quality and strength of hair.
- Avoid hair treatments & hair styling tools during pregnancy to assure less hair damage.
- Use mild shampoos post pregnancy to ensure the health of your hair. Harsh or strong shampoos have a negative effect on your hair for a long-term. Try to avoid them.
- Drink a lot of water, get proper sleep and stay away from stress.
- Be gentle with wet hair as they are more prone to breakage.
- Massage your hair with lukewarm oil regularly at least once a week.
- Try keeping your scalp clean because a dirty scalp attracts a lot of bacteria which damage the hair follicles. Try shampooing regularly to ensure the cleanliness and hygiene of your scalp.
Below are a few home remedies which are helpful in preventing hair fall and improving the overall health of your scalp.
- Massage Aloe Vera pulp into your scalp in circular motions. Leave it on for 15 minutes and rinse.
- Soak 1 tbsp fenugreek seeds in water overnight. Make it into a paste. Add 2 tbsp of curd & one egg white. Leave it on for 1 hour. Rinse thoroughly.
- Grate the onion and extract the juice. Dip the cotton ball into the juice. Apply into your scalp for 30 minutes and rinse.
- Break two eggs in a bowl and separate the yolks from the egg white. Mix well and apply to your scalp for 20 minutes. Then rinse with water and mild shampoo.
I hope you like the tips given in the article. Always remember to follow a proper diet. Eat healthy, try these remedies and live a stress-free life.
These tips are just to ensure a good and healthy hair life. These are not the only measures to prevent hair-fall, there are several other ways I am sure. In case of a severe hair-fall, please don’t wait and get medical help asap to avoid any major problems later.
Please leave a comment in a box given below.