Your small baby often makes big gassy noise. Passing gas 15 to 25 times a day is absolutely normal for children. Children with delicate digestive systems may suffer from the gas formation. On the one hand gas formation is normal and on the other hand, it can be very painful for babies due to underdeveloped digestive system.
Causes of Gas:-
- Swallowed Air – Child has plenty of chances to swallow air like when they cry, eat or drink milk.
Detection of gas in babies:-
- Baby gets fussy before and after passing gas.
- Baby is bloated.
- Baby has a hard tummy.
- Baby cries while farting.
- Continues burps and hiccups.
Ease Gastric Pain:-
- Always try to keep your babies head higher than her stomach while feeding.
- The best way to ease your baby is to make her burp after and during the feed. If she doesn’t belch, lay her down on her back for a few minutes and try again.
- Bottle feed with smaller holes, large holes can pass lots of air and milk at the same time.
- Give your baby some tummy time by gently massaging your baby, pumping her legs back and forth.
Home Remedies to prevent Gas:-
- Take a pinch of asafoetida(hing) and dissolve it in warm water. Apply this paste to the infant’s navel.
- Boil water with carom seeds(ajwain) and set aside. Keep giving this water at frequent intervals.(For 6 months and above)
- Dip a soft cotton towel in warm water and place it on the baby’s tummy after squeezing excess water.
- Giving a gentle massage with warm mustard oil daily is very helpful.
- Boil 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds in a glass of water. Give this water at regular intervals to relieve gas. (For six months and above)
As babies grow up they become less susceptible to gas issues. This is completely normal. If the problem persists for a long time, then consult a doctor.
Hope this article on Gas in babies and toddlers with home remedies was informative.
Please leave a comment below.